Regulations of the1st Dafen International Oil Painting Biennale, China 2018
Shenzhen, the pioneer city of the reform and opening-up, has created a number of China’s first, and Dafen oil painting village is one of them. At present, Dafen has become the leading demonstration zone for the development of China’s cultural industry, the representative foundation of Guangdong Province’s art tribal cluster, one of top ten characteristic cultural blocks in Shenzhen. Under the development goals of national “The Belt and Road” and Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area, Dafen continues to launch the new cultural brand “Dafen International Oil Painting Biennale, China”.
The 1st Dafen International Oil Painting Biennale, China 2018（The 1st Dafen Biennale for short）is an international and high-end exhibition that focuses on the academic and artistic. We will admire innovation and highlight personality in the style of selecting works, and are looking forward to more innovative and excellent works. At the same time, a thematic invitational exhibition will be held to enhance the academic level of the Biennale. We hope that through the International Oil Painting Biennale，Dafen will become a platform and window for the mutual understanding between China and the world, so as to enhance the artist exchanges between the countries worldwide.
Ⅰ. The Designation of the Exhibition
The 1st Dafen International Oil Painting Biennale, China 2018
Ⅱ. Exhibition Time, Location and Sum of Exhibits
Exhibition Time: Oct.,2018
Exhibition Venue: Dafen Art Museum ，Shenzhen ,China
Sum of Exhibits: 280 or so
Ⅲ. Exhibition Subject
Theme: Opening-up and Integration
Subject definition: Since implementing the policy of opening to the outside world, China has been closely connected with the world. With the opening-up attitude, integrated with global regional culture, it deepens the thought and participation for this era of various countries and nations. It realizes the diversity and multiplicity of culture.
“Dafen International Oil Painting Biennale” is located in the special artistic holy land of DaFen, Shenzhen Special Economic Zone. This new exhibition brand will bring innovation and development of awareness for culture of each nation, achieve the objective of “harmonious coexistence”, “multiple integration”, and “mutual winning”.
China Artists Association
CPC Publicity Department of Shenzhen Municipal Party Committee
Shenzhen Federation of Literary and Art Circles
CPC Shenzhen Longgang District Committee, People’s Government of Longgang District
Fine Arts Center of China Federation of Literary and Art Circles
Shenzhen Artists Association
Cultural Industry Development Office of Longgang District, Shenzhen
Buji Sub-district Office of Longgang District, Shenzhen City
Dafen Art Museum
The organizing committee：
An organizing committee of “The 1st Dafen International Oil Painting Biennale, China” will be set up to strengthen the leadership of organizing preparatory works. This committee is comprising of honorary directors, executive directors, deputy directors, Secretary Generals, Deputy Secretary Generals and committee members, office directors and deputy office directors, and take all responsibility for coordinating organizations, supporting organizations, co-organizations and related departments and is responsible for the preparation and exhibition work of the Dafen Biennale.
Honorary directors: Liu Dawei, Li Xiaogan
Executive Directors: Xu Li, Zhang Yong
Deputy directors: Tao Qin, Chen Jinhai, Li Ruiqi
Secretary Generals: Dai Bin, Liang Yu, Dong Xiaoming, Dong Junxin
Deputy Secretary Generals: Hu Gengxiang, Shang Boying
Members: Wang Guomeng, Zhang Qi, Min Yuhui, Li Kungang, Chen Xiangbo, Yang Xiaoyang, Chen Qiping, Chen Xiangbing, Hao Qiang, Liang Jian
Office directors: Liu Zhong, Wang Guomeng, Min Yuhui, Chen Xiangbo,
Deputy office directors: Lv Yanfeng, Yang Xiaoyang, Chen Qiping, Liu Yajing
Exhibition editor: Wang Wei
V. Requirements for Participating Artists and Works
The participating works of Dafen Biennale are expected to come from all over the world, the influential artists and their representative works will be selected from the participating countries.
1. Works of the exhibitors from home and abroad for Dafeng Biennale Exhibition can be submitted freely and collected all over the world;
2. The participating works should be oil paintings created in recent 3 years, and should focus on aesthetic taste and artistic quality. If the participating works have been agented or collected, the artist should be responsible for the specific communication with the agent or the collector. If the communication is failed and then leads to the artist could not come to Shenzhen and take part in exhibition, it will be deemed as the artist automatically waives the eligibility criteria. The artist should not change the participating works.
3. The length and width of oil painting works should be no less than 1m (excluding the outer frame), and each side length of wooden box should be no more than 2.5m after post packed. The packaged weight should not exceed to 100 kg, and the inner and outer frames should be firm.
4. The participating works should be framed by the artist. If the participating works have outer frame, it must be solid and reliable, and should not have nails and exposed sharp objects. It is not recommended to use iron frame. If the participating works have mirror frame, it should not use glass mirror and could use plexiglass or transparent plastic board.
5.The organizing committee has the right to refuse the participating works which are not in accordance with the forms submitted by artists or which are oversize and overweight ,smelly,or difficult to transport and arrange for exhibition ,or dangerous to the visitors.
6. Once the selected work is found to involve sensitive issues which related to historical remnants and international politics, the organizing committee should have the right to immediately cancel all the qualifications about it, such as selection, exhibition, and participation in the exhibition. The organizing committee reserves right of final interpretation of related issues.
Ⅵ. Participating Method and Relevant Schedule
1. Contribution time: Since now until May 15th,2018.
2. The preliminary evaluation: the Biennale will adopt the online registration, and the participating artist should log on the website and submit the information to complete the registration according to the requirements (website: http://dfbiennale.artron.net/). Each participating artist need to submit JPG format HD images of one work ( the image should be no less than 5MB, and the electronic edition of artist personal photo should be no less than 1MB) and is required to complete the unified Registration form of Works which are provided by official website. Please do not post photos or original works. The judge committee will review domestic and foreign image works. All participating information will be archived.
3. The results of preliminary evaluation: The judge committee will select the works based on the photos of works and the results will be issued at the official website of the Dafen Biennale (http://dfbiennale.artron.net/) in Jun.,2018. At the same time, the Organizing Committee will notify the selected artists to clarify the responsibilities, rights and obligations of both parties.
4. Registration and participation fee is not required.
5. The Organizing Committee reserves the rights as below: Freely exhibit the specially invited and selected works and have the right to take photos of the works freely and use the photos openly free of charge, use the artist personal information listed in Registration Form of Works for domestic and foreign propagandizing exhibition, prepare album of paintings etc. publication; develop the reproduction rights of biennale souvenirs and other images of the works, and can publish the works in the relevant media, networks for long term.
6. All the exhibitors and participants sending works for this exhibition should be deemed to have confirmed and complied with the requirements of the notice.
VII． Packaging, Transportation and insurance of Participating works
1. The Organizing Committee covers the cost of round-trip transportation for oversea participating works (the country in which the works are located — Shenzhen).For domestic participating works we vover only the returning cost.
2.The participating artists should cover the cost of round-trip insurance of transportation by themselves for their works. The Organizing Committee will refuse to accept for carriage of uninsured works, and will be responsible for the insurance of the participating works during exhibition.
3.The Organizing Committee will inform the foreign artists the confirmed carrier agency by website announcements and e-mail in time. The carrier agency will arrange their staff to contact with foreign artists in a timely manner. The foreign artists should properly pack participating works as required ，and put them in fumigated box to designated carrier agency of the Organizing Committee ，and clearly mark the designated exhibiting number on the outside of the packages before July 10th, 2018. In order to complete customs clearance smoothly, if the packaging material of foreign participating works is raw wood (including all materials used for packaging works such as crates, mats and wedges, etc.), the raw wood must be fumigated, and the artists are required to mark the national IPPC (International Plant Protection Convention) logos on both side of packaging material at least. In addition, the artist should bear the cost of packaging, and the carrier agency will responsible for pick up.
The domestic artist should post the packed participating works to the designated location of Organizing Committee and clearly write the designated exhibiting number on the outside of the package box before Aug. 25th, 2018. The post must be “door” to “door”. The freight of posting to Shenzhen of works should be bore by domestic artist, and the freight of return will be bore by the Organizing Committee.
Selected participants should ship the corresponding works or deliver them to the carrier agency in time, and should not replace works without permission, otherwise the Organizing Committee has the right to refuse it. If participating works can not be delivered to carrier agency or shipped to the designated place in time, the Organizing Committee will not be responsible for the consequences that raised from the works can not be exhibited in this case.
The Organizing Committee will not accept any unselected works which have been shipped to the Organizing Committee or exhibition hall by artist, and will not undertake any obligation of hosting or returning unselected works.
4. For any participating works damaged during transportation due to packing poorly, or broke, shed, deformed or occurred other change due to instability or weakness, or damaged in the process of transportation at artist’s own risk, the Organizing Committee will notify the artist in time, and will not take any responsibility of it.
5. The Organizing Committee will be responsible for returning the participating works. If the foreign works which have sent by the undesignated carrier agency, the Organizing Committee will not be responsible for returning their works. If those works do need to be returned, the artist should negotiate with the Organizing Committee before Aug.25, 2018.
VIII. The treatment of artist
1. Each participating artist will receive a copy of the “The Collection of 1stDafen International Oil Painting Biennale, China”. The Collection will be public color printed and included all participating works, the introductions of artists, work descriptions and other related text content.
2. The Organizing Committee will invite some artists coming Shenzhen, to attend the opening ceremony of the Dafen Biennale and related meetings. The expense of accommodation in Shenzhen of being invited artists will be bore by the Organizing Committee.
3. The Dafen Art Museum will discuss the specific collecting intention with the participating artists for the proposal collecting works. The artist of each collecting work will receive proper collection fee (RMB 100,000 including tax) and a collection certification issued by the Organizing Committee.
4. The participating artists will receive Dafen Biennale Participating certificate which be awarded by the Organizing Committee.
5.For the domestic participating works (total 60 pieces), the artists will have the chance of application to become a member of China Artists Association.
IX. Works for donation:
The organizing committee accepts free donations. Artists who are willing to donate exhibition works voluntarily should mark in the column of the work registration form. The donated works should be the exhibition originals. The organizing committee will issue certificates to the artists who donate their works and hold donation exhibition in due time.
X. symposium and archive
1. The Organizing Committee will hold a one day simultaneous interpretation (English) International symposium and invite members of the Planning Committee, domestic and foreign participating artists and influential critics, curators and related scholars to attend this symposium.
2. The topics of the symposium will be rounded the exhibition theme, for example“opening-up and integration”etc.
XI. Contact Information
Address: Dafen Art Museum, Buji Sub-district, Longgang District, Shenzhen, China
Postal code: 518112
Dafen Biennale official Website: http://dfbiennale.artron.net/
Note: All artists who applying to participate in this Dafen Biennale are deemed to have agreed to above regulations and related rules in application form. The Organizing Committee of The 1st Dafen International Oil Painting Biennale, China 2018 has the final interpretation for the contents of this regulation.
The Organizing Committee of Dafen International Oil Painting Biennale, China